Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back To School

Driving back to school Sunday night after my “Spring Break at Mona’s House” I was pretty confused. Just a few weeks earlier Mona was just a memory linked to Sharon and that failed relationship. Then she calls and I end up spending three nights of my break at her house, two nights of one-on-one intense sex and one night of doubling her with her pal Chet. The whole week had shaken me. When I was seeing Sharon I had a great relationship with Mona. She was flirty, attractive as hell, fun, lots of laughs… but I never spent much time considering what it would be like to go to bed with her. After all, I was with Sharon and they were friends and she was older and more experienced and… and… and…

But, to be blunt, fucking her was extraordinary. I learned something every minute I was with her. Still I had to admit to myself that, as exciting as it was, I didn’t really enjoy the time we spent with Chet. And that was what was bothering me as I drove along. I knew I didn’t want to share her. Or, more precisely, I didn’t want to be the other guy. Mona had done a good job of making me feel like I was the guy but, come on, he was at her place when I got there that night and he was there when I left and there was no way to make out of that anything other than what it was. I was just the stunt guy brought in when the script she was writing called for taking it from two cocks at the same time. Being a stunt man's good honest work, but I wanted to be the leading man. Hell, I wanted to be the director. I learned something very important about myself that week even if it took most of the three hour drive to understand it. There was no way anything would work out with Mona and thinking differently was just delusional. So I was looking forward to seeing Ann next weekend, maybe fool around with Sparkle again from time to time and it would be like the week with Mona never happened. All I had to do was let Mona know I'd be too busy with school stuff for her to come down.

I had been back in my apartment about ten minutes when the phone rang. I hadn’t even unpacked anything yet so I let it ring. It must have rung twenty times before the caller gave up. A half hour later it rang again and I answered. It was Ann. She said she’d been calling for a while. We stayed on the phone about an hour and she told me how her trip to Florida had gone. She asked what I’d done. “The same boring stuff,” I said, “shot some pool with the guys, hung out, nothin’ much.” She sounded quite excited about coming down to visit the next weekend. That was gratifying. My mind was reviewing the fact that Mona had invited herself down for the same weekend but I didn’t think there was any value in bringing that little fact up with Ann.

By the time I got off the phone with Ann I was tired and fell into bed. Before I fell asleep the phone rang again. I got up, stumbled out to the kitchen, and answered the big, black wall phone.
“Hullo…”
“About time you answered. I’ve been callin' all night,” Mona said.
“I got in about an hour ago.”
“Yeah, you’ve been on the phone that long. I kept getting a busy signal.”
“Then I went to bed,” I said.
“So you don’t wanna talk to me? You’d rather go to bed?” she said.
“Mona, you OK?”
“Yeah, I guess, why?”
“You sound, I dunno, kinda worked up, angry or sumpthin'” I said.
“I’m in a bad mood. I wanted to talk to you hours ago and it just kept ringing... and then I kept getting a busy signal the last hour or so. I wanted to talk to you hours ago…”

“Well, I was on the road. I’m here now. Is everything OK?”
All I could hear was the white noise on the phone line.
Then Mona said, “I had a big blow up with Chet before he left.”
My heart thumped. I didn't say anything for a few seconds.

“Really? What about?”
“Ohhhh… a whole buncha shit… he took off early this afternoon and I’ve been calling you ever since. Just wanted to talk. But I’ll let you go back to bed,” she said.
“Mona, it’s OK. I can talk.”
“Oh sweetie. I can’t wait to come down and see you next weekend,” she said.
The moment she said that I knew I’d need to come up with a plausible reason to postpone Ann’s visit.