Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stunned


My boss was working in his office alone when I finished carting up Pam's spot and putting it in the control room. I tapped on the door and Bob waved me in.
“Hey! Pretty late in the day for my big time mornin' guy to be hangin' around,” he said.
I grinned back at him and told him the big news-- that I'd sold my first flight of ads.
“Well, excuse me, my morning guy slash sales guy! Way to go!”

He asked what account I'd brought in.
“That little, funky gift shop in town, Pamela's,” I said.
“No shit? That's great, kid! Waytuhgo.”
“Thanks. It took me about four or five calls but I closed it today. Got a check and everything,” I said.
“From Donnie?” Bobby said.
“Donnie? No, Pamela.”
He looked concerned.
“Is there a problem? I already gave Darlene the check and cut the spots. They start Thursday morning,” I said.
“No... no... go ahead. I'm sure it'll be fine,” he said.
“Good. Ya had me worried. Who's Donnie?”
“Donnie Scoggins. You know, Donnie Scoggins Ford... the ads you run every stop set.   Hell, you met Donnie right here a few weeks ago,” he said.
I did remember Mr. Scoggins. He had been shootin' the shit with Bobby in the office late one afternoon over drinks. Looked to be in his mid-50's. Bob introduced him as “our biggest advertiser.”
“Oh sure. I know who he is... I knew Pamela's last name was Scoggins... just didn't connect the two. I guess I thought Scoggins was a common name around here or sumpthin',” I said.

“Nah. Donnie's old man started the business... used to sell tractors and stuff too... he was the only Scoggins I ever heard of around here... left the business to Donnie when he died. Rough transition for a while, but it's goin' OK now... doin' real good 'cause he spends a lotta dough with us.”
“So I guess his daughter's learning retail to take over for him some day,” I said.
“What the fuck ya talkin' about, his daughter? They don't have any kids.”
“Pam's his daughter, right?”
Uncle Bobby snorted and then laughed loud and hard. He motioned for me to close the door.

“How 'bout some Jack?”
I nodded and he poured a double shot of Jack Daniels in each of two glasses.
“I didn't want Darlene hearin' us,”
We drank.
“Billy, I don't know what sweet lil' Pammy mighta told ya, but that extra fine piece is Mrs. Donnie Scoggins.
He laughed again and said, “Here, let me pour ya another... look like ya saw a ghost... or, hey, maybe you're just thinkin' of those tight fuckin' jeans she favors.”

I was stunned but got my wits together enough to say, “Uncle Bobby, what difference does it make to me that she's married... to Donnie Scoggins or anybody else?”
“Aw, don't bullshit a bullshitter, Kid. There's no way you've been in that store a half dozen times and it didn't pass through your brain that it might just be nice to get your end wet at Pamela's Place.”

He had a point. No sense in denying that.
“Well... that much is true, boss. But she's kinda old for me ya know... young for Mr. Scoggins I guess... but kinda old for me.  She is a looker though, I'll give ya that."
“You're what, twenty-two?”
I nodded.

“Yeah, guess she's got about eleven years on you. And Donnie's got twenty-one or so on her.”
We drank in silence. He poured our third double shots of Jack.
“She's the hottest damn thing on two legs around here, that's the fuckin' truth” he said.
Bob had a hundred mile stare going.
We drank some more.
“Kid, Scoggins Ford's our biggest account. I handle him directly.”
“I know, Boss,” I said.
We finished our drinks and got up to leave Uncle Bobby's office.
“You know, _______ is just a two hour drive west of here. Lots to do.  Lotta hot young chicks there,” he said.
“So I've heard. But my boss makes me work six days a week,” I said.
“That guy sounds like a real asshole!” he said as he slapped me on the back, “Hey, good work makin' your first sale. You're doin' great on the air too, Kid.”

____________________
In bed that night I was trying to clear my mind of all the stuff flying around in there. The alarm was set for 4:45AM. I had to be on the air at 6 AM. I needed sleep. But the thing that kept me awake was the idea that my boss expected me to fuck Pam Scoggins. I don't mean that he wanted me to; but he expected me to. I think that he was telling me that, if it was him, he'd sure as hell take a run at her.

It felt like he was daring me.  Which was weird because I also thought Pamela was daring me to fuck her.

No comments: